Back-End EngineerApply to this job
Join the data management revolution!
RAW Labs is an exciting spin-off from the renowned École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland that has developed a revolutionary way for companies to access and consume data. Our product is RAW, a next-generation data management system that accesses and queries data at source and in real time, eliminating the need for costly and time consuming ETL processes.
RAW Labs was founded by the award-winning Professor Anastasia Ailamaki whose work can be found in the database products of Oracle, Microsoft and IBM. Advisors include Prof. Martin Odersky (creator of Scala), Prof. Mike Franklin (co-creator of Spark), Alon Halevi (Facebook AI). Our Board includes Ariel Luedi (ex. Salesforce and Hybris) and Claude Honegger (ex. Group CIO Credit Suisse)
To support increasing demand, we are looking for a Back-End Engineer based out of Switzerland or remote.
You will be joining a team of talented and highly motivated people that care deeply about RAW Labs customers, partners and each other. We are a small team but have big plans, so if you enjoy working with smart people and are motivated to build a great company, we would love to hear from you!
Starting Date: ASAP
As Backend Engineer for RAW Labs, you will contribute to the development and maintenance of a wide array of the backend services for the RAW platform. This includes, among other tasks, improvements to the query execution engine, caching layers, code generation, distributed execution, and external connectors. You will also participate in the design and implementation of new features and products.
You are a passionate and experienced engineer with JVM experience, detailed-oriented, with great oral and written communication skills, multi-tasker, and demonstrated team-player. You know how to manage projects on time and interact with both technical and non-technical colleagues. You want to be a major factor in the success of our customers.
Your role is part of the engineering team and strategic for the success of our company. We are planning on rapid growth which paves way for great career opportunities.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a wide array of the backend services for the RAW platform, including REST services, database backends, distributed systems.
- Implement a flexible and scalable architecture as to accommodate demands from customers and sales.
- Implement new features for the product.
- Build benchmarks and conduct detailed performance analysis.
- Contribute to the maintenance and improvement of internal developer tooling.
- Contribute to documentation efforts of code, internal architecture documentation as well as customer-facing documentation.
- Interview technical candidates and contribute actively to onboarding and mentoring of new developers.
- Provide support to the customer support teams to help debug problems as needed.
- Provide support to critical pre-sales efforts as needed.
- Contribute to technical outreach efforts in form of white papers, presentations or other form of public presentations.
- Conduct technical code reviews.
- University degree in computer science or engineering or equivalent experience.
- At least 3 years of experience in a similar role.
- Experience in JVM.
- Experience in big data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, HDFS.
- Experience in the development of distributed systems.
- Languages: Scala and/or Java and/or Kotlin. SQL.
- Excellent written and verbal English.
- Great oral and written communication skills.
Nice to have:
- Experience in Play Framework.
- Experience with benchmarking and profiling tools (e.g. JMH, Apache JMeter, Gatling, Java Mission Control)
- Experience in developing big data frameworks.
- Experience with Go.
- Experience in enterprise-deployments: Kerberos, Active Directory/LDAP, OAuth.
- Experience with Kubernetes and/or AWS.
- Experience with CI/CD tools (e.g. Jenkins, Artifactory), DevOps tooling (e.g. Terraform, Packer, Vagrant, Docker, Compose, Ansible, …)
- Stimulating projects and work environment.
- Flexible work hours and home office support.
- Opportunity to join a start-up with huge growth potential where you can make a difference.
- Great compensation plan including stock options.
- A company with aggressive growth plans and a potential to shape your career.
- Great and highly motivated co-workers who are all experts in their field.
Apply to this job